Best Beard Wax – Our Top 5 [2016 Review]
You might have already noticed, but beards are all the rage right now & with that in this article we’re going to discuss the best beard wax. The lumberjack chic look capitalizes upon a scruffy beard mixed with some hiking boots and plaid.
It seems that this facial hair craze is here to stay.
And the reason being, there is science behind it. Having facial hair, particularly finely maintained facial hair is the epitome of masculinity. Scientific studies have found that well-groomed beards and mustaches make men more attractive to women, especially women who are looking for long term compatibility. The facial hair for women is a signal of a man’s’ ability to provide, and biologically the heightened survival skills and enhanced fertility. Stubble has been ranked among the most attractive of facial hair for short term relationships while full beards are more attractive for longer relationships because of their extreme masculinity. As sexual selection by way of female choice continues to shape the evolution of male ornamentation, it is apparent that facial hair is the newest ornament.
So how do you maintain a well-groomed beard of any length? With beard wax. Beyond simple washing or conditioning, beard wax is what helps you to sculpt your hair, to hold in place whatever design you want. What’s more, with a variety of oils and scents, you can keep your beard smelling fragrant.
How do you know that you have the best beard wax on the market?
- Make sure it contains an element like shea butter which moisturizes the hair
- Make sure it uses natural elements, not something harmful to your facial hair or irritating to the skin
- Make sure it is long lasting so that you don’t end up with a drooping design or clumps of wax
But to help you out, we have reviewed some of the best beard wax on the market.
Top 5 Beard Waxes
Urban Nomads Beard Balm & Wax
This styling balm and conditioner is purportedly for all beard, mustache, and hair styles with a vanilla and rose hip scent. The smoothness from the texture is a result of the argan oil and shea butter. This wax helps you create a thick, shiny beard with 100% natural products. The packaging of amber glass maintains freshness so you can condition, soften, and style your beard any time.
- It has a healthy combination of essential oils mixed with vitamin E and shea butter which makes the skin and hair soft.
- It uses essential oils to repair dry or splitting hair, restore shine to the hair, and moisturize your skin.
- Not great as a styling wax in spite of claims. With too much it produces white flakes in cooler temperatures.
- The smell is strongly vanilla.
This is a good wax but not the best beard wax in our opinion, don’t get us wrong it’s great but not 100% out cup of tea, if you are interested in finding out some more information about the Urban Nomads Beard Wax however you can click here & you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page where it’s priced very competitively.
Slam Bam Best Beard Balm & Beard Wax
This simulating wax is made from essential oils which do not cause irritation or leave the beard feeling overly oiled. It conditions dry hair and repairs damaged split ends.
- It leaves the hair soft to the touch.
- The product is handmade without any additives.
- It stops beard itch and beard ruff.
- It is a thick wax, not very soft to the touch.
- It leaves flakes in the beard that stick to the hair when it dries.
- The smell is strong and for some, off-putting.
We really like this wax but for some the smell might be a bit too much, nonetheless a firm favorite of ours & it comes in a big tin so certainly worth the money. If you are interested in finding out some more information about the Slam Bam Best Beard Balm & Beard Wax you can click here & you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page to see more reviews & info.
Leven Rose BEST Mustache Wax & Beard Wax
This product is meant to groom unruly, rogue, and coarse beard hair so that it is tamer, smoother, and easier to manage. The wax uses natural ingredients like argan oil which helps the skin, castor and avocado oils which hydrate and soften the hair, and beeswax which stimulates growth.
- You can help symptoms of eczema with the unscented versions.
- There are many scented versions available on the market
- All of the containers are refillable, recyclable, and protect the wax from UV light.
- The wax is 100% natural, without any artificial ingredients, pesticides, parabens, or GMO’s.
- It is difficult to use for mustache shaping. So if you are using it on a beard and trying to get a handle bar mustache simultaneously, it might not work.
We really like this wax, it’s not got the strongest hold so depending on what you’re looking for it might not be the best if you’re looking for a handlebar mustache wax then this might not be what you’re looking for. However all in all & in terms of value for money & performance we highly rate this wax & would go as far as to say it’s our favorite, certainly on of the best beard waxes out there. If you are interested in finding out some more information about the Leven Rose BEST Beard & Mustache Wax you can click here & you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page to see more reviews & info.
Honest Amish Original Beard Wax – All Natural and Organic
This wax is the oldest one on the market. It is made organically with a mixture of organic oils and butters combined with locally harvested beeswax which helps keep the beard hair controlled, shiny, and conditioned. It also prevents rogue hairs from flying away unkempt.
The original recipe used is unlike any other, giving a natural scent and keeping the hair healthy and protected.
Trust and reliability are the two main things you get with this wax, especially when you consider that the Amish culture maintain strong beards the same way they have for decades, and have cared for these beards using carefully guarded secrets that are now available for purchase here. These recipes are all natural, and they keep the beard hair growing healthy by protecting the hair follicles.
- The smell is quite faint, unlike many of the others. Most people enjoy the scent of this wax.
- All of the packaging is biodegradable, making it one of the most ecofriendly waxes on the market. What’s more, the recyclable tin can in which the wax arrives will not leach like plastic containers do, so you can rest assured that there are never any harmful irritants in your wax.
- It is hand crafted by honest Amish individuals.
- The wax is not great for styling, but rather for combing your beard hair and keeping it in place. The reason being, it will stay oily all day rather than harden in place so you can comb through easier.
- The instructions state to scoop out a pea sized amount and then rub between the fingers to heat it up efficiently enough to spread throughout your beard smoothly. This, however, is easier said than done and in some cases can take quite a long time to evenly heat without it clumping.
This is a great beard wax, is it the best beard wax? We’re not 100%, we certainly rate it & certainly rate the Amish as beard experts but it’s not our favorite, maybe a close second or third, certainly a great wax though. If you are interested in finding out some more information about the Honest Amish Beard Wax you can click here & you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page to see more reviews & info.
Smooth Viking Beard Wax with Shea Butter and Argan Oil
This balm is meant to give you superior shaping power and hold, long lasting so you only have to use it once per day. Purportedly it encourages beard growth by keeping the hair and follicles healthy and conditioned. Without any harmful or irritating chemicals the all-natural design keeps the hair naturally healthy. You only need rub a small amount into your beard and then shape it however you please. The wax itself is lightweight and mess-free so you won’t have to worry about leaving behind a sticky trail.
- It makes your beard appear thicker, and even feel thicker to the touch.
- It will work well to get control of a scraggly beard.
- It contains multiple oils that are healthy for the hair including sweet almond oil and avocado oil. These, combined with the other natural ingredients, help the hair to grow better.
- The scent is not overpowering and quite pleasant.
- Application of it can be tricky, since you are instructed to scoop it out of the container and then smooth it out, a process that does not always work out the way you want.
- For some users it will leave a residue in your beard all day, something that conditioners do not.
Another great beard wax, hence why it made the list. One of the best things about this wax is that if you’re prone to a thin beard, this will help make it at least appear thicker & will also help tame loose hairs. All in all, probably our second favorite beard wax, for more information about the Smooth Viking Beard Wax you can click here & you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page to see more reviews & info.
Conclusion – Best Beard Wax
In the end, the best recommendation from them all is Leven Rose BEST Mustache Wax & Beard Wax. With almost no negative remarks from the guys here or issues we recommend this as the best option out there!
We hope you’ve enjoyed this article on the best beard wax, let us know how you get on in the comments below & which wax you use to tame your furry friend (we mean beard).