Best Mouthwash for Braces
Oral health and hygiene can extend beyond merely brushing your teeth regularly but what if you have braces? In this post we’re going to discuss the best mouthwash for braces if you have time you should also check out our best toothpaste for braces post. There are many habits we can use to keep our teeth healthy. One of those is using mouthwash. Mouthwash plays a fundamental role in comprehensive oral treatment by removing plaque, cleaning your teeth, and getting rid of the accumulation of other bacteria that lingers after brushing, in between meals, and more.
Controlling dental plaque, preventing cavities, and removing the bacteria and germs responsible for bad breath is more easily done with mouthwash. Mouthwashes have been scientifically shown to remove the excess plaque that brushing leaves behind. In fact, brushing your teeth often removes just around 42% of the plaque you accumulate throughout the day, leaving the other 58% to linger in your mouth and cause damage to your teeth. That said, anti-plaque agents like mouthwashes can go the extra mile to improve your oral care by removing whatever is left after each round of brushing and flossing, leaving your braces free from debris and your breath as fresh as a rose.
But which is the best mouthwash for braces? Below are our top five.
This mouthwash is one which contains Xylitol, a product that is popular around the world for fighting against cavities and keeping the teeth clean. Designed for braces wearers specifically, this alcohol-free product is meant to prevent the white spots and cavities that often accompany braces, sooth the inside of your mouth, and freshen your breath.
- It will loosen particles in and around your braces.
- It prevents white spots and cavities while wearing your braces.
- It moisturizes and soothes the inside of your mouth, something important to counter the friction caused by braces.
- It is dentist recommended.
- Not everyone will enjoy the flavor that it leaves.
For more info on the ACT Braces Care Anticavity Fluoride Mouthwash click here, you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page where it is priced very cheaply.
This name brand mouthwash is a complete mouthwash for braces, one which is free from alcohol and rich in fluoride. The company paid for studies to test the efficiency of the product, and the results of those studies showed the regular use of this mouthwash prevents cavities, restores enamel, and makes your teeth 50% stronger compared to brushing your teeth alone.
- Cleans your teeth and helps to prevent tooth decay.
- Restores enamel to stop your teeth from exposing the dentin underneath, something which makes your teeth appear yellow in color.
- It contains fluoride designed to prevent cavities.
- It will fight off the bacteria that causes bad breath.
- This mouthwash, though effective, will cause shedding of dead tissue from the inside of your mouth. The dead and decaying mucous membranes which make up the lining on the inside of your mouth will eventually succumb to redness and ulceration the result of sodium lauryl sulfate contained in the mouthwash. This cleaning product, one which is found in shampoos and detergents to create foaming, decreasing the effectiveness of fluoride at stopping future tooth decay and causes irritation and ulceration on the inside of the mouth.
For more info on the Listerine Total Care Zero Anticavity Mouthwash click here & you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page.
This natural mouthwash is a probiotic mouthwash which removes the plaque or biofilm from your mouth. It naturally washes away bacteria to keep your mouth clean.
- The concentrated natural probiotics wash away any build up around the braces and keep your mouth clean.
- The formula is safe for braces, non-toxic, and FDA approved.
- You will feel noticeably cleaner with fresher breath.
- There is really no taste to it, so it doesn’t leave the traditional freshness in your mouth after use.
This is a great mouthwash for braces & comes highly recommended, click here for more info.
Oral Essentials has a non-toxic, alcohol free, sugar free mouthwash which was actually formulated by dentists. The ingredients were handpicked by dentists around the country to create something more natural for your mouth, but still effective. This mouthwash is alcohol and preservative free. This is important because most generic brands have denatured alcohol in them which is what creates the negative stinging effect most people believe to be the cleaning of the mouth. In reality this stinging effect is meant to prevent you from drinking the mouthwash. The alcohol that causes that sting is not responsible for cleaning your teeth too. That said, this product supports healthy teeth by moisturizing your mouth and supporting oral tissue health.
- It does not sting like other mouthwashes.
- It is non toxic and non-GMO, perfect for people who suffer from halitosis.
- It contains Dead Sea salt, rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium, perfect for oral care.
- It is rather expensive for mouthwash, especially given the size.
- It does not actually remove your bad breath or seek out the cause of it. Like gum or mints, it just uses the essential oils to cover your bad breath.
This is one of the best mouthwashes for braces out there, it’s a little different from what you’d usually expect with its essential oils but it’s certainly a winner in our eyes & has great reviews, for more info you can click here.
The Plax formula, so long as you are not allergic to any of the ingredients inside, is very effective at loosening plaque. It even works on build up that won’t come off with regular brushing and cleaning. This formula will loosen and remove stains of all varieties from your teeth.
- It will loosen and detach plaque on contact which helps to reduce plaque on your gum line and teeth.
- It will give you a cleaner, healthier feeling when you are done using it.
- If you have sensitive teeth, this can cause increased sensitivity.
- Certain allergies can take place in response to this too, resulting in tingling and irritation on the inside of the mouth.
This is a good budget option mouthwash for braces & the cheapest in our top 5, all in all a good mouthwash but can cause issues if you have sensitive skin, for more info click here.
Conclusion – The best mouthwash for braces
In the end, the best mouthwash for braces has to be the unique formula by ACT. The ACT Braces Care Anticavity Fluoride Mouthwash with Xylitol is one of the few on the market designed specifically to sooth the inside of the mouth, not irritate it or exacerbate the friction caused by the braces. It is meant to fight cavities while also removing the hard to reach plaque and build up that forms around the braces.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this post on the best mouthwash for braces & if you have braces have found it useful in finding the best mouthwash for your needs.