Best Toothpaste for Braces
When you use any toothpaste, you need to be sure you are brushing at a 45 degree angle to your gums. Using circular motions, two times per day, for two minutes each time, can reduce your risk of cancers, infections, and tooth decay by fifty percent, regardless of the toothpaste you use. But when you have braces sometimes it can be a different ball game altogether, which is why we’ve put this article together on the best toothpaste for braces, if you have time you should also take a look at our best mouthwash for braces post as we think you’d find it useful.
If you do have braces, looking for natural toothpaste options might be better suited for you, rather than traditional toothpastes. Traditional toothpastes have sodium lauryl sulfate. This is found in nearly all toothpaste. It is what makes toothpaste and the shampoo you use on your hair bubble and foam. But it also dampens your sweet receptors and increases the response from your sour receptors; for this reason drinking something like orange juice after you brush your teeth causes a great deal of sour pain.
Natural versions often include lemon pasts, salt, baking soda, and other mixtures of these elements. They are natural elements that bleach your teeth, grind away at plaque, and are better for you.
That said, whether you opt for a natural or traditional toothpaste, finding the best toothpaste for braces can be hard, especially when you need something you can use multiple times per day without causing decay or damage to the braces themselves. What’s more, given the friction that braces can cause against the inner lining of the mouth, finding a non-abrasive formula is key. If you don’t have time to read through our entire article & want to cut to the chase, we rate the Fluocaril Ortho123 Toothpaste as the best toothpaste for braces.
Below are five of the best toothpaste options designed for people with braces
Fluocaril Ortho123 Toothpaste for Braces care
This toothpaste is designed to alleviate plaque and to protect your teeth and gums. There is aloe vera contained in it to help heal the mouth, which is something important for braces because the lining of the mouth generally experiences friction against the braces.
- It is free from sodium lauryl sulfate which means it will not bubble, nor cause any additional decay to your mouth.
- It contains an anti-bacterial agent that reduces bacteria and plaque buildup in the mouth.
- The ingredients list comes in another language, so it can be really hard to know what you are actually ingesting or using on your teeth.
- It does have an odd feel when you brush your teeth with it.
For more info on the Fluocaril Ortho123 Toothpaste for Braces click here where you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page.
Organic Spearmint Toothpaste made by Krista’s Natural Products
This natural toothpaste is a fun, clay based option that contains minerals necessary for healthy teeth. With a fun package, it also contains organic spearmint oil which gives it a traditional toothpaste minty flavor.
- The toothpaste is high quality without any sweeteners.
- The ingredients contained in it are simple and natural.
- Your teeth will feel clean after.
- There are different mint flavors for different preferences.
- There is a bit of bitterness from the minerals that lingers after use.
- It can cause sensitivity after prolonged use because it is a bit abrasive.
For more info on the Organic Spearmint Toothpaste made by Krista’s Natural Products click here where you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page.
Smile Science V-White Whitening Toothpaste
This toothpaste can be used daily on braces. It will promote healthy gums, teeth, and a brighter smile. The mixture contains calcium peroxide which is a natural way to brighten teeth and strengthen enamel. This keeps your braces intact and your teeth clean. Anyone who wants to gently whiten their teeth even with braces can use this with ease. It is non-abrasive which means it will not interfere with braces.
- It has a nice mint flavor.
- The toothpaste is non-abrasive.
- It is enriched with vitamins necessary for healthy teeth, including Vitamin A, B, and C.
- It whitens teeth but is non-peroxide so it is safe for braces.
- It does naturally whiten teeth which is great, save for the fact that with braces, you end up whitening only what is exposed and not what parts are covered by the braces.
For more info on the Smile Science V-White Whitening Toothpaste click here where you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page.
Colgate Optic White Toothpaste
This toothpaste is part of a line of teeth whitening tooth products. It uses special teeth whitening components to prevent future stains. When you brush with it, the product foams so that it can reach the hard to reach places in your mouth. This is a great option for people who have braces and are always looking to get in and around the metal. It has been shown to whiten teeth after just five days of use compared to ordinary toothpaste.
- It is a safe, recognized brand name.
- It naturally whitens your teeth while you endure the braces.
- The formula is safe for your enamel, not stripping anything away.
- This brand does contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which has been shown to cause damage to your health.
For more info on the Colgate Optic White Toothpaste click here where you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page.
Dr. D Herbal Diabetic Toothpaste – Non Fluoride Toothpaste
This product is a diabetic toothpaste, one that is perfect for braces because it contains no sugar. Without the high amounts of sugar, it reduces bacteria growth, tooth decay, plaque buildup, and chronic inflammation. As an herbal toothpaste, the design is made without any harmful chemicals, with 12 Thai herbs in their place. The new formula is one that ensures no extra decay happens while braces are worn.
- It is made out of 12 different herbs that work together to provide great dental care without harsh chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate.
- It is free from parabens, benzoate, or artificial color.
- The main ingredient is Xylitol which is used around the world to fight bacteria, maintain correct pH levels in the mouth, and function as a nice alternative to fluoride.
- Since it comes from out of the country, it can be tricky to determine all of the side effects it has with other medications or tooth treatments.
- The main ingredient is not a common ingredient, which leaves some questions about its effectiveness open-ended in the States.
For more info on the Dr. D Herbal Diabetic Toothpaste click here where you’ll be taken to the Amazon product page.
Conclusion – The best toothpaste for braces
In the end, the best toothpaste for braces in our opinion is Fluocaril Ortho123 Toothpaste. This toothpaste, while from another country, will protect the inner lining of your mouth against the abrasion of the braces with the soothing aloe vera. What’s more, it protects your teeth and alleviates plaque buildup from around the braces. Safe, natural, it is completely reliable.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this article on the best toothpaste for braces & found it useful, in the end it comes down to personal preference, we only have a couple of guys in the office with braces so these tests have taken longer than they normally would & these five were the favorites.